[Haskell-cafe] Linux binary dist problems

Sun Oct 5 19:55:48 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I just joined this list, I'm interested in learning Haskell to complement my
day job language (Java). I was interested in trying to make a simple website
using Haskell in order to have something to practise on, however in my
host's shared environment I can't use the Linux binary packages - I get the
same errors that a few people were talking about in September - firstly the
"cannot determine current directory", and then after hacking the configure
script the "[install] Error 136". It seems that this is probably an old
libc, but this is an environment that I have almost no control over so I
can't fix that. Are there any building from source options if I don't
already have GHC? It looks from the porting guide that I might be able to
make 6.6.2 with just a C compiler, can I then use that to build 6.8.3?

Thanks for any help. As a few people have commented, it would be great to
make all this easier, as it's a pretty big stumbling block to starting with
Haskell, and people are likely to get discouraged pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Colin