[Haskell-cafe] synchronous channels in STM

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 11:28:24 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:10 PM, roger peppe <rogpeppe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if it was possible to implement synchronous channels
> within STM. In particular, I'd like to have CSP-like send and recv
> primitives
> on a channel that each block until the other side arrives to complete
> the transaction.

> I think I've convinced myself that it's not possible, but
> anyone care to differ?

Hi Rog!!  (Plan 9/Inferno Rog?)

http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/stm/Control-Concurrent-STM-TChan.html
<-- isn't that it?

see writeTChan and readTChan.  I assume readTChan is synchronous :-).
 writeTChan may be asynchronous for all I can tell (haven't looked deeply).

But I did write a concurrent prime sieve with it:

module Main where

{--
Haskell Concurrent and sometimes parallel prime sieve of eratosthenes
<leimy2kNOSP at M@mac.com>
David Leimbach
May 19, 2008

Communicates with typed data channels for sieving using the STM monad
(Software Transactional Memory) to
share data between sparks.  Sparks are created by forkIO, which can be
scheduled to real OS threads.

The algorithm is sloppily contained in sieve :: TChan Int -> TChan Int -> IO
()
which receives a number in the range of [2 .. 10000].  If this is the first
number it has received, that
will forever be that spark's number to test for divisibility of subsequent
numbers.  After this assignment
it writes this value to the reader spark which prints it and waits for the
next number to fall out of the
sieve. (which is why we start with 2)

This first sieve running spark will forkIO 1 more sieve spark that will be
sent as it's first number, the
first number not evenly divisible by the value of the current sieve spark.

This process continues until the syncVal is received, which terminates the
program and shuts down the reader
as well as the main loop.
--}

import Control.Monad.STM
import Control.Monad
import Control.Concurrent
import Control.Concurrent.STM.TChan

import System(getArgs)

syncVal :: Int
syncVal = -1

sieve :: TChan Int -> TChan Int -> IO ()
sieve inChan outChan  =  do
 value <- atomically $ readTChan inChan
 atomically $ writeTChan outChan value
 newchan <- atomically $ newTChan
 forkIO $ sieve newchan outChan
 forever value newchan
    where forever value newchan = do
  subsequent <- atomically $ readTChan inChan
  if subsequent `mod` value /= 0
     then
       do
       atomically $ writeTChan newchan subsequent
       forever value newchan
     else if subsequent == syncVal
     then
       do
       atomically $ writeTChan outChan syncVal
       return ()
     else
       forever value newchan

reader :: TChan Int -> TChan Char -> IO ()
reader chan syncChan = do
x <- atomically $ readTChan chan
if x /= syncVal
   then
       do
--       putStrLn $ show x
       reader chan syncChan
   else
       do
       atomically $ writeTChan syncChan 'Q'
       return ()

main :: IO ()
main = do
       wChannel <- atomically $ newTChan
       rChannel <- atomically $ newTChan
       sChannel <- atomically $ newTChan
       forkIO $ reader rChannel sChannel
       forkIO $ sieve wChannel rChannel
       x <- getArgs
       putStrLn ("Searching for primes up to " ++ (head x))
       forM_ [2 .. ((read (head x)) ::Int)] $ \i -> atomically $ writeTChan
wChannel i
       atomically $ writeTChan wChannel syncVal
       atomically $ readTChan sChannel
       return ()