[Haskell-cafe] Hackage and GUI (was Hackage status with GHC 6.10 release candidate)

Hans van Thiel hthiel.char at zonnet.nl
Mon Oct 13 10:15:25 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 14:46 -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> The GHC 6.10 RCs are out, and we're preparing the release. To help manage the
> transistion to GHC 6.10 it is now possible to actually build all the 3rd party
> Haskell packages, and publish their results wrt. the release candidate.
>
> For the first time ever, we're able to have all the 3rd party code
> tested and ready to go *prior* to the release of the new compiler and
> base libraries.
>
> Using GHC 6.10 RC, Cabal 1.6 and cabal-install 1.16, of 682 libraries and apps
> tried in total,
>
>       1 UnpackFailed
>       2 DownloadFailed
>       2 InstallFailed
>      16 ConfigureFailed
>      73 DependencyFailed
>     132 BuildFailed
>     456 InstallOk
>
> Note that these builds are with "soft deps", provided on hackage,
>
>     base < 4
>     parsec < 3
>     HaXml == 1.13.*
>     QuickCheck < 2
>
> which train cabal-install to build a larger set of packages.
What's the status of Gtk2Hs with regard to Cabal? Is it correct that not
one of the applications on Hackage, and there are some, uses or can use
a GUI at this point in time?
Secondly, has Gtk2Hs compatibility been tested with GHC 6.10? In the
past there have sometimes been problems with new GHC releases and
Gtk2Hs. These have always been addressed, but it usually took a few
months..

Cheers,

Hans van Thiel

[snip]