[Haskell-cafe] Re: Ubuntu Haskell

Titto Assini titto at quicquid.org
Tue Oct 14 05:47:43 EDT 2008

Hi Magnus,

you wife must be very advanced if she plans to install xmonad, I read
the installation docs recently and recoiled in horror :-)

To go back to the subject under discussion, I can perfectly see the
need for having ready made distribution packages for:
- the haskell compilers
- cabal
- a few programs that have end user appeal and that are used beyond
the haskell community (darcs and xmonad spring to mind)

But why bother to build binary distributions for the hundreds of
packages that are just raw ingredients to the haskell development
process?

It seems to me that it adds confusion (two ways of installing things
rather than one) while reducing flexibility and 'freshness' of
installation.

Best,

      titto

--