[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell in Artificial Intelligence

Chung-chieh Shan ccshan at post.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 14 08:29:13 EDT 2008

Christos Chryssochoidis <c.chryssochoidis at gmail.com> wrote in article <48EFA2D7.8050204 at gmail.com> in gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe:
> I'm interested in doing a survey about the use of Haskell in the field
> of Artificial Intelligence. I searched in Google, and found in the
> HaskellWiki, at www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_in_industry, two
> organizations that use Haskell and do work related to AI. Besides that,
> I haven't found much else. Could somebody from the Haskell community
> give me some pointer to a project or system related to AI that uses
> Haskell?

I started using Haskell in my graduate introductory AI course.  The
basic advantage is that of embedding domain-specific languages in
Haskell (well documented in, for example, "Composing Contracts" and
"Playing the DSL Card").  In this case, the embedded language is that
of probability distributions and decision processes.  The Haskell
implementation can simulate a decision process as well as find a best
response strategy.

Unfortunately, the documentation is sparse outside my class lectures,
but you can find the code with comments at
http://conway.rutgers.edu/~ccshan/wiki/cs530/
(search for "Process.lhs").

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
Human cognition is not equipped to update the list of players in our