[Haskell-cafe] What I wish someone had told me...

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Tue Oct 14 19:10:07 EDT 2008

> I'm not advocating existential types in this case.  I rarely use them myself.
> I was just pointing out that the mechanism for doing the OO thing
> exists in Haskell too, albeit looking a little different.
>
> I don't think there's anything weird about existential types, except
> an unfamiliar name.

Perhaps, it helps to make Lennart's point about composable building
blocks made more explicit (simplifying slightly):

- a function 'f :: a -> IO a' has to accept any type 'a', so it can't know
    anything about those 'a's

- a function 'f :: Interface a => a -> IO a' only has to accept types 'a'
    that *at least* implement 'Interface', so there's a *lower bound* on the
    information required about those 'a's, and 'f' can't use any more than
    that (but since 'a' is exposed to 'f's calling context, it might be fixed there)

- a constructor of type '(forall a . Interface a => a) -> SomeType' can only
    be applied to objects of type 'a' that *at least* implement 'Interface',
    but if 'SomeType' doesn't mention 'a', the result *at most* implements
    'Interface' and 'a' itself gets hidden, so there's an *upper bound* on
    the information being provided

The reference that comes to mind

    On understanding types, data abstraction, and polymorphism.
    Luca Cardelli and Peter Wegner.
    ©1985  Computing Surveys, 17(4):471-522, 1985.
    http://lucacardelli.name/Bibliography.htm

predates Haskell, so any 'splodin' heads can't be blamed on Haskell!-)

I wouldn't expose beginning programmers to this level of detail about
types, but if you're going to talk about interfaces and types at all, and
about type classes in particular, to programmers who are beginning
their switch to Haskell, it can't hurt them much to read it. It might
even help, and if not, it is at least a concrete basis for more Haskell
specific explanations when they start running into those questions.

Claus