[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell newbie indentation query.

Reid Barton rwbarton at math.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 16 16:08:06 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:57:05PM -0700, Simon Michael wrote:
>> Basically it has a more accurate haskell parser, and it has a simpler
>> way of cycling through possible indentations: TAB moves to the right
>> and BACKSPACE to the left.
>
> Unfortunately, it can sometimes fail to parse what's in the buffer, get
> balky and event prevent you typing anything at all. I had to back out of
> it for now..

You can use C-q followed by any character to insert a literal copy of
that character, disregarding modes in effect (C-q C-j for a newline).
I have to use this every so often to get around the kind of parse
errors you mention, but I think it's still well worth the improved
tab/backspace behavior.  (In my experience these parsing bugs only
affect editing on the same line or maybe the next line.)

Regards,
Reids