[Haskell-cafe] Re: Pandoc questions

Andy Smith andy.haskell at zambezi.org.uk
Thu Oct 23 21:21:29 EDT 2008

2008/10/17 Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>:
> It strikes me that perhaps using LaTeX to enter mathematical markup is
> rather against the spirit of Markdown. Surely there should be an option to
> include raw LaTeX, but a more "natural" encoding that covers "most"
> mathematics would be nice also. Of course, that means somebody has to design
> it first...

Here's something along those lines, which I found recently on the W3C
MathML software page:

http://www1.chapman.edu/~jipsen/asciimath.html

It's a converter from an ASCII syntax to Presentation MathML, written
in JavaScript to allow mathematical notation on web pages to be
converted to MathML in browsers that support it, or kept as ASCII in
browsers that don't. There's a specification of the ASCII syntax which
would be a good starting point if you want to write another
implementation:

http://www1.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathml/asciimathsyntax.html

Presumably this can't express everything that MathML can (and it
doesn't deal with Content MathML), so it would be useful to support
MathML in the source, like Markdown allows inline HTML, or LaTeX.

Andy