[Haskell-cafe] Windows console

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Sep 13 01:02:04 EDT 2008

On 2008 Sep 12, at 22:29, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 2008-09-12 20:29 +0100 (Fri), Andrew Coppin wrote:
>
>> Looks like the only thing it doesn't do is let you change the title
>> on the console window. (Because, obviously, that's only possible on
>> Windows.)
>
> Right. Unless you send an ^[^H]0;foo^G sequence (^[ being ESC) to your
> xterm. You'll find that the title changes to "foo".

0 = both title and icon
1 = icon name
2 = titlebar text

Most X11 terminal emulators use the same protocol.  (ISTR that dtterm
doesn't, but I don't think most people care any more.)  One other
gotcha is that Terminal.app on Leopard (dunno about Tiger) treats 0,
1, 2 the same way so if you set the icon name after the title you end
up with the icon name in the titlebar.  (OSX uses the titlebar text as
the icon name when minimized.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu