[Haskell-cafe] Line noise

Dan Piponi dpiponi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 23:00:39 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 7:49 PM, wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> wrote:
> We inherited our use of spaces for function application from Lisp and
> friends, so "foo bar baz" looks perfectly natural to functionalists. But to
> those used to seeing "foo(bar, baz)" the meaning attached to the spaces is
> alien.

I have to admit, it took me a long time to be able to parse the
ML-style function notation in Haskell. I found it the biggest "barrier
to entry". I suspect that most of the complaints about line noise stem
from this - to beginners Haskell expressions just look like sequences
of identifiers with no apparent grammar to "bind" them together.
--
Dan