[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.10, OS X, Fink and CPPFLAGS

Svein Ove Aas svein.ove at aas.no
Thu Sep 25 12:27:19 EDT 2008

While trying to test 6.10, I ran into the issue that a number of the
libraries it wants are not installed by default, and are most
conveniently added via Fink. This includes gmp, binutils, readline,
etc.

/sw/ is not in the default gcc path, of course, so the usual solution
is to add -I/sw/include, -L/sw/lib, etc. to it via the CPPFLAGS and
LDFLAGS environment variables, which are supported by most[1]
autoconf-based packages. The help text for ghc's configure script does
in fact suggest that this is the case, and it has some code meant to
read it; broken code, as it happens.

As it is, the script fails to propagate those variables to whatever is
responsible for compiling the RTS, which fails with a missing gmp.h,
bfd.h, and so on. All those files exist live quite happily in
/sw/include, and would no doubt appreciate visiting makefiles.

So my question is two-fold:
Is the help file wrong? Is there some other way to do it?
Or is this in fact a bug, and if so, will any of you volunteer to fix
it for me? ^_^