[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hmm, what license to use?

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Fri Sep 26 03:59:06 EDT 2008

"Magnus Therning" <magnus at therning.org> wrote:

> I released it under
> LGPL.  The sender wondered if I would consider re-licensing the code
> under BSD (or something similar) that would remove the need for users
> to provide linkable object files so that users can re-link programs
> against newer/modified versions of my library.

In general, you could just change your licencing to GPL, requiring
people to provide source to enable relinking/everything else, and sell
private licences to people who don't want to open up their code.

At least that's what I do, I don't like freeloaders.[1]

Concerning Haskell, just tell them to use the ghc-lib and link (or even
compile) at runtime.

[1] Things like Haskell and lua are exceptions, I'd release them
under BSD, too. But then I didn't ever do such a thing.

performance and/or broadcasting of this signature prohibited.