[Haskell-cafe] Link errors in Gtk2Hs are more general than I thought.

Jeff Wheeler jeff at nokrev.com
Sun Apr 5 01:46:53 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 07:12 +0200, Bertram Felgenhauer wrote:

> This looks like the quartz backend was disabled in the cairo C library,
> not like a gtk2hs problem. I don't know how ports work, but
>
>   http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/graphics/cairo/Portfile
>
> defines a 'quartz' variant that enables that backend. Another idea is
> to reinstall pango.

I installed Gtk2Hs on a similar machine earlier tonight, with much
success, even with Yi.

I did not use MacPorts, and instead followed the instructions on the
HaskellWiki [1] under "Using the GTK+ OS X Framework" (including
compiling pkg-config from src). I'm not sure how having attempted the
installation through MacPorts may have littered your system,
unfortunately.

After that installation has succeeded, compiling Yi normally and running
`yi -fpango` to launch the GTK UI should work. Earlier tonight, though,
I reported an issue that causes only the first line of any buffer in the
Pango Yi UI to be visible [2], which makes this much less useful.

Jeff Wheeler

[1] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Gtk2Hs
[2] http://code.google.com/p/yi-editor/issues/detail?id=261