[Haskell-cafe] PatternSignatures (rant)

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Wed Apr 8 04:21:46 EDT 2009

> [...] and GHC (very kindly) only accepts Haskell 98 by default.

as in, hierarchical modules?

continuing the rant, I'd say that "ScopedTypeVariables"
is a kludge that tries to repair another hack,
namely, allowing to not declare type variables.
That's again counter to the very idea of declarative programming.

I mean, if we'd write

let  f1 :: forall a . T1 a
     f1 = let f2 :: forall a . T2 a
              f3 :: T3 a
          in ...
in ...

then there'd be no need to look up the meaning
of the inner  a's  in some command line option
or pragma in the file header, both of which
are miles away from the source location.

(I already said it is a rant, OK?) - J.W.