[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re[6]: Parallel combinator, performance advice

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 06:33:15 EDT 2009

Hi

>>> Neil, executing x1 directly in parallel_ is incorrect idea.
>
>> forget this. but it still a bit suboptimal...
>
> i think i realized why you use this schema. my solution may lead to
> N-1 worker threads in the system if last job is too small - after its
> execution we finish one thread and have just N-1 working threads until
> parallel_ will be finished
>
> but problem i mentioned in previous letter may also take place
> although it looks like less important. we may solve both problems by
> allowing worker thread to actively select its death time: it should
> die only at the moment when *last* job in bucket was finished - this
> guarantees us exactly N worker threads at any time. so:
>
> parallel_ (x1:xs) = do
>    sem <- newQSem $ - length xs
>    jobsLast <- newMVar (length xs)
>    addWorker
>    forM_ (x1:xs) $ \x -> do
>        writeChan queue $ do
>           signalQSem sem
>           modifyMVar jobsLast $ \jobs -> do
>               return (jobs-1, jobs==0)

Yes, this saves us adding a kill job to the queue, but requires an
extra MVar. I guess which one of these is to be preferred depends on
performance measures.

I've just found that QSem _ISN'T_ valid below 0, so the above code
won't actually work with QSem as it stands. I've reported this on
ghc-users at . I've also spotted that QSem creates plenty of MVar's
itself, so the logic of moving to QSem instead of MVar isn't really
valid (although the new approach is nicer, so that's good).

Thanks

Neil