[Haskell-cafe] Best text editor

Michael P Mossey mpm at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Apr 13 18:06:46 EDT 2009

Ketil Malde wrote:
> Michael Mossey <mpm at alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
>
>> I'm a beginner, but I'll chime in and say I use Emacs with
>> haskell-mode. It's auto-indentation is a bit complex in behavior which
>> is unappealing (I feel like I never know what it's going to do when I
>> hit tab), but I would be curious what someone with more experience
>> feels about that.
>
> Just keep hitting tab until you have the indentation you want.
>
> -k

Well, that's a bit like driving a car and saying, "Keep turning the wheel back
and forth until the car goes in the direction you want." Seriously, good user
interfaces have simple, predictable behavior. Also, very often you never get the
indentation you want no matter how many times you hit tab. Of course, I'm
grateful to have a haskell-mode at all, and the syntax highlighting is helpful,
so I don't want to complain too much. I tried switching to the "simple
indentation mode" but I can't tell the difference.

I would like a mode that advances to the right in a simple way (checks lines
above for alignment positions, and advances one position at a time). Maybe I'll
write one. I do have a bit of experience with emacs lisp.

Thanks,
Mike