[Haskell-cafe] Computing a sorted list of products lazily

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Fri Apr 17 18:19:31 EDT 2009

Am Freitag 17 April 2009 23:41:18 schrieb Jason Dagit:
> Hello,
>
> A colleague of mine recently asked if I knew of a lazy way to solve
> the following problem:
> Given two sets of sorted floating point numbers, can we lazily
> generate a sorted list of the products from their Cartesian product?

If the numbers are nonnegative, you could use

sortedProducts xs ys = foldr merge1 [] [map (*x) ys | x <- xs]

merge1 (x:xs) ys = x:merge xs ys
merge1 [] ys = ys

merge xs@(x:xt) ys@(y:yt)
    | x < y    = x:merge xt ys
    | otherwise = y:merge xs yt
(or remove duplicates, if you wish)

Since the lists are sorted and the numbers nonnegative, each (map (*x) ys) is sorted and
the heads of these are sorted, too, therefore we can use merge1, which makes the fold lazy
enough to work even on infinite lists (it is not very fast, though, if speed is crucial,
you might be better off to sort in chunks).