[Haskell-cafe] FRP, integration and differential equations.

Christopher Lane Hinson lane at downstairspeople.org
Tue Apr 21 03:13:48 EDT 2009

I had this conversation recently.  My experience with implementing RK4 in
RSAGL led me to some contrary conclusions:

First, ODEs aren't necessarily useful for interpreting externally sampled
events, because you don't have the ability to run, i.e. RK4 against a
mouse cursor position without using time travel to sample past values of
the mouse position.

So, for example, I might use ODEs to make an object act like it's on a
spring attached to the mouse pointer, but the the mouse position must be
treated as a fixed position for each frame interval, while the object
moves dynamically within that interval.

Second, you still want some kind of recursion/delay/fixed point operator.

For example, ok, I tend to think in terms of monsters with lasers.  The
monsters point their lasers at each other and run away when they see a
laser pointed at them.  This might be a classic if involved ODE problem
until some of the monsters reproduce at random every five to ten minutes
and some only sense motion while others use echolocation and can be
distracted by clicking with the mouse, and some only get angry when a CD
is loaded in the drive tray.  Someone implement *that* without delayed
recursion.

Friendly,
--Lane