[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANN: list-tries-0.0 - first release

Matti Niemenmaa matti.niemenmaa+news at iki.fi
Wed Apr 22 04:04:30 EDT 2009

Felipe Lessa wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:29:05AM +0300, Matti Niemenmaa wrote:
>> Good to hear that it works for someone else, too. (I don't have a new
>> enough version of containers installed myself, after upgrading to
>> 6.10.2.) Just bear in mind that some functions won't work.
>
> What exactly don't work? What is the problem with containers-0.2?

The following three bugs are the problem:

(1) http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2644
(2) http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2769
(3) http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2960

(1) means that any intersection function will fail on a trie
parametrized with an IntMap.

(2) I worked around, it just means that mapAccumDescWithKey on a trie
parametrized with a Map as well as mapAccumDesc and mapAccumDescWithKey
on a trie parametrized with an IntMap will have worse performance, as
they go via lists.

Finally, (3) means that using any Traversable function on a trie
parametrized with an IntMap will error out.