[Haskell-cafe] Re: SQL Database in Haskell?

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Wed Aug 5 20:36:09 EDT 2009

Hi,

well I tried to do some stuff in memory, and the app ended up using a
couple of gigs. I not only have a very large amount of dynamic data, CSV
files, but also quite a large amount of static data, and wasted 3 months
trying to do this all in-memory. The problem was finally solved once I
used SQLite and SQL.

The other day I had one last go at trying to compile the static data in a
literal list in my haskell code. That was 80.000 rows, it was just not
even possible

As far as I'm concerned this discussion is settled in favor of SQL once
and for all.

The part I didn't like about SQLite is encryption, you need to buy that
extra and then hope that it fits the current version and future ones too.
HSQLDB or Derby for Java give you this option and also with in-memory
database, alas they are for Java only.

Günther