[Haskell-cafe] Hugs faster and more reliable than GHC for large list monad 'do' block

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Thu Aug 6 16:59:45 EDT 2009

I assume for the return line, you meant to return a list, not a tuple.
ghc doesn't support a 600-tuple.
In any case, returning a list, I have verified that this problem exists
in ghc 6.10.3, for -O0 and -O2.

For -O0, it compiles and links fine, but gives this runtime message:

z: internal error: scavenge: unimplemented/strange closure type -1 @
0x2a95a8e000
     (GHC version 6.10.3 for x86_64_unknown_linux)
     Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug
Abort

Maybe it is attempting to unroll these loops, even with -O0?

Dan