[Haskell-cafe] haskell embedded

Mark Wotton mwotton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 21:36:20 EDT 2009

On 09/08/2009, at 11:24 AM, Kevin Smith wrote:

> Hello,  Could someone point me in the the direction of any
> references for using Haskell as an embedded language in an
> application. Xmonad seems to come to mind because the configuration
> files are written using Haskell.  Any other information ?  Thanks in
> advance.

In a Haskell application or a foreign one? Xmonad and lambdbabot are
probably not bad places to start looking at methods to load new
Haskell at runtime into a Haskell process. If you're looking at
embedding it in a C program, http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Calling_Haskell_from_C
  is helpful, although it does require that you compile everything
together at one time.

I've been looking into ways to load haskell code into Ruby programs at
run-time lately, which you can check out at shimweasel.com if you like.
Briefly: dynamic library support doesn't work in ghc 6.10.1 at the
moment, although it has at some point worked in GHC HEAD. I'm unable
to get HEAD to build with --enable-shared on either Mac or Linux
currently, you might have better luck.

mark