[Haskell-cafe] Examples

Keith Sheppard keithshep at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 19:31:18 EDT 2009

This seems to me like the kind of thing hackage maintainers should be
giving guidance on (maybe they do already?) so that there is
consistency.

Sorry if this seems too off base, but here I go anyway... I have used
apache IVY for packaging/dependency management in java and I really
like the way it works. They have spent a lot of effort figuring out
how to deal with complex project dependencies. For example they have
organization (eg. "com.sun") and project (eg "javaSDK") concepts that
help to keep the namespace clean. They also have different "profiles"
like "test" or "dist" that you can depend on. Maybe it would be
worthwhile to poke around ivy's docs and see if we want to pull any of
these concepts into cabal/hackage

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Wolfgang
Jeltsch<g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org> wrote:
> Am Samstag, 8. August 2009 13:29 schrieb Andrew Coppin:
>> As some of you may remember, I recently released a couple of packages on
>> Hackage. I'd like to also release some example programs using these
>> packages, but I'm not sure of the best way to do this.
>>
>> Do I make the example programs part of the package itself? Do I release
>> a seperate package which just contains the example code? Something else
>> entirely? What's the recommendation here?
>
> I had to make this decision for Grapefruit, and I decided to put the examples
> into a separate package named grapefruit-examples. Note that the rest of
> Grapefruit was already split into several packages with names of the form
> grapefruit-*.
>
> Best wishes,
> Wolfgang

keithsheppard.name