[Haskell-cafe] unsafeDestructiveAssign?

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 05:41:24 EDT 2009

Hi Job,

I don't think this hypothetical function could exist; you may as well
call it  "notEverSafeOhTheHumanity" and be done with it.

Since Haskell provides no guarantees about when (if ever) any given
function/data will be evaluated, you would need some mechanism to tell
the compiler that a data chunk has a certain value at one time and a
different value at another.  The language provides this in the IO (and
ST) monads.  So the function would need to live within IO, and you
don't gain anything.  If you try to take it outside of IO, with e.g.
unsafePerformIO, then the compiler will no longer treat it like IO and
the result is free to be evaluated whenever, so you're back where you
started.

Also, keep in mind that purity is a language requirement in Haskell
and such a function really would "break everything".  Specifically,
you would get differing output depending on the exact transformations
performed by the compiler, which in general would be difficult to
predict in advance, probably not the same between different compiler
versions, changed by compiler flags and phases of the moon, etc.  I
have an example in a darcs repo somewhere...

Cheers,
John