[Haskell-cafe] Re: Thinking about what's missing in our library coverage

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Thu Aug 13 10:52:38 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> alexander.dunlap:
> > >          o pandoc — markdown, reStructuredText, HTML, LaTeX, ConTeXt,
> Docbook, OpenDocument, ODT, RTF, MediaWiki, groff
> >
> > No. Pandoc is too actively developed to go into the HP. It's also much
> > more of an end-user application than a "standard library" - it's
> > applications are not general enough to be included in the standard
> > distribution.
> >

> One comment on your thoughtful post.
>
> What role does having unique capabilities for the Haskell Platform play?
>
> Our base library is already notable for having OpenGL support out of the
> box. Maybe markup/markdown formats (for example) would also help Haskell
> stand out from the crowd. A similar case would be gtk2hs out of the box
> (Python supplied Tcl guis).

I just thought of something I wanted to use Haskell for at work.  It would
be a tool used internally on windows and osx.  I was thinking to myself,
"Well, it would be nice if it had a GUI and the deps for building it were
easy to satisfy."  Naturally I looked at what packages the HP provides and I
was disappointed to find out that other than OpenGL/GLUT and Win32 there are
no GUI libraries provided.  So a cross platfrom GUI library would be much
appreciated.  Whether that's wxHaskell, gtk2hs, or something else is not
terribly important to me.  On a side note, SDL support would be a nice
addition to the OpenGL support.  I think the other dependencies for what I
have in mind are easily satisfied by the HP as it is.

It would also be nice if we had some sort of web development platform as
part of the HP.  Those .NET folks have all these neat add-on libraries that
just come bundled.  Makes me jealous.  Cabal-install makes things much
easier overall so maybe I shouldn't complain...

Thanks for the HP!

Jason