[Haskell-cafe] Re: Cleaner networking API - network-fancy

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Thu Aug 13 13:45:49 EDT 2009

Taru Karttunen wrote:
> Hello
>
> network-fancy offers a cleaner API to networking facilities in
> Haskell. It supports high-level operations on tcp, udp and unix
> sockets.
>
> I would like some feedback on the API
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/network-fancy/0.1.4/doc/html/Network-Fancy.html
>
> In particular:
> * Does the type of the server function in dgramServer make sense?
>   or would (packet -> Address -> (packet -> IO ()) -> IO ()) be
>   better?
> * Does the StringLike class make sense?
> * Any other suggestions?
>
> - Taru Karttunen

One thing that seems to be missing (and also seems to be missing from
the GHC standard libraries AFAICT) is listening for multicast UDP. This
requires some extra socket gymnastics to handle group membership. The
details can be found in the network-multicast package.

Cheers,

--
/me who wonders where his signature went.