[Haskell-cafe] Re: Cleaner networking API - network-fancy

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:09:38 EDT 2009

I'm considering putting not insignificant effort into reworking the
Network API during HacPDX.  Assuming Johan agrees with the changes
(and I don't know exactly what those are yet), I'd like to leave
Network.Socket for general use and rework the Network module to allow
easier TCP/UDP sending and receiving, binding to particular IP
addresses, using bytestrings, receiving data with IP Headers, and
sending with IP headers.  Multicast is another good idea that should
be in there.

In general, the community would probably benefit if all these small
packages (network, network-data, network-fancy, network-bytestring,
network-multicast, network-server) gave way to fewer, more complete
packages.

Right now the thought has came to me that the cleanest, most uniform
method might be to have a Config data type with all these ideas as
options and use a single 'connect', 'listen' or 'receive' function for
all the different protocols and their various options.  I'll think on
it.

Thomas