DDC compiler and effects; better than Haskell? (was Re: [Haskell-cafe] unsafeDestructiveAssign?)

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 18:28:22 EDT 2009

I think version is control is really just a subset of a larger effect
theory. E.g. I've been experimenting with a parallel undo/redo system
in C#, where some actions can commute and be undone separately, and
for detecting this, the actions need to explicitly expose what they
will change; so this also seems in the same line of research (and has
been reported earlier in the thread "darcs as undo/redo system").

And if I recall correctly, imperative compilers can reorder and
parallelize instructions based on what they read/write; again this
feels the same.

Like John said, it will be interesting when the operating system
itself exposes all dependencies (what it reads/writes), so that if
e.g. content of file A is used to generate content of file B, that
this is not some spooky action at a distance. Now the OS is treated
like a big black IO box (realworld in -> realworld out), just because
we're still stuck with dumb hierarchical file systems and other opaque
IO.

Another example might be FRP / Yampa, and the recent work of Hai
(Paul) Liu, Paul Hudak and co, where causal commutative arrows are
invented. AFRP computations really commute, while standard arrows are
just a generalization of monads, so not really suitable for capturing
the parallel nature of AFRP. The way I discovered this myself, is that
when you have e.g. a large tree of user interface widgets, represented
by a big arrow circuit, and the user edits just the one widget in one
branch (which happens when e.g. the mouse is captured), then with the
current arrows system all branches will be visited depth first. But of
course only the path towards the widget that will change needs to be
visited, all the other remain constant.

Since I don't have any academic backgrounds - only intuition - I'm not
sure if these topics are related, but they sure feel like it :-)