[Haskell-cafe] Re: DDC compiler and effects; better than Haskell?

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Sun Aug 16 09:38:36 EDT 2009

I chose this example specifically because parsing/compiling is not IO-
bound. Many build systems today achieve multi-core scaling by
parallelizing all the phases: parsing, semantic analysis, and
compilation.

Your question is a good one and one we face already in auto-
parallelization of purely functional code: how do you know when the
cost of doing something in another thread is overwhelmed by the
benefit? I think JIT compilation provides the ultimate answer to these
types of questions, because you can make guesses, and if you get them
wrong, simply try again.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
N-Brain, Inc.