[Haskell-cafe] Unifcation and matching in Abelian groups

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Wed Aug 19 08:32:19 EDT 2009

John D. Ramsdell wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Neil Mitchell<ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why not:
>>  if done then return () else
>>    do prob <- getLine
>>       test prob
>>       main
>
> I've given up on using if-then-else in do expressions.  They confuse
> emacs.  There is a proposal for Haskell' to fix the problem, but until
> then, I will not use them in do expressions.

Do not blame haskell, blame emacs, if emacs is so stupid.

Fortunately there is a better emacs mode which understands layout and if:

http://kuribas.hcoop.net/haskell-indentation.el

> I'm so glad new languages do not use the offset rule.  I get tired
> typing tab in emacs, especially since for most other languages, emacs
> does so well at picking a good indent.  Requiring coders to spend so
> much time choosing indents reminds me of the days when I wrote C code
> with vi.  I've been there, done that, and moved on to emacs.

Do not blame haskell, blame emacs. The layout rule is simple to
understand and I think it makes attractive code. It's not haskell's
fault that the emacs mode chooses a bad indent so often.

There is a better emacs mode which gets the indentation right more
often, I find ;)

http://kuribas.hcoop.net/haskell-indentation.el

Jules