[Haskell-cafe] Re: Where do I put the seq?

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 05:52:03 EDT 2009

Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
> Not at all, use it for whatever you want to :-)
>
> I'm writing this code because I'm preparing to write a bunch of
> tutorials on FRP, and I first wanted to start with simple console based
> FRP, e.g. making a little text adventure game, where the input/choices
> of the user might be parsed ala parsec, using monadic style, applicative
> style, and arrows, and then doing the same with FRP frameworks like

This is a really bad place to start a FRP tutorial IMO.

The interface for 'interact' does not make any promises about the
relative evaluation order of the input list / production order of the
output list.

That's why you are having to play horrible tricks with seq to try to
force the order to be what you want.

I don't think this is the basis of a robust system or a sensible tutorial.

Just my 2c.