[Haskell-cafe] Help starting a Haskell blog

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 13:43:55 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Peter Verswyvelen<bugfact at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. At first sight gitit requires that I setup my own server.

That's how the Happstack model works.

> Although this has advantages and I did that in the past, I prefer to use a
> public server (actually my internet provider's license forbids hosting a
> server)
> Does one exist for gitit?

Nothing stops you from proxying through Apache, for example. That's
how the Darcs wiki does it - Gitit listens on 127.0.0.1:5001 and
Apache forwards from wiki.darcs.net:80. Or something like that.

> Also Gitit is an unfortunate name since "Git It" has become a saying
> apparently, so googling for it give me all the wrong hits ;-)

Well, I've been pushing for any Gitit site backed by a darcs repo to
be called a 'darcsit', which is very Google-search-friendly a name.

> Bing guided me towards http://www.johnmacfarlane.net, but I guess that site
> is just a showcase for the author?

Well, what are you looking for? Gitit's obviously on Hackage, and it
links to the homepage (such as it is) on Github; there are a number of
running examples besides John's site, such as http://wiki.darcs.net/
or http://lhc.seize.it/

--
gwern