[Haskell-cafe] I miss OO

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 06:09:12 EST 2009

Nice.

It would be fantastic to have a little practical real-world challenge
(like building a simple music system, or a simple multi-channel sound
mixer), and work this out in an imperative language, an
object-oriented language, a functional language, and maybe other
languages too, like logic languages or constraint languages (does the
latter exist?)

When OO is about constructing a "machine" and talking about objects,
and FP is about making little algebraic languages, what would C or
Pascal be like? In these languages, you don't think about objects, but
you don't think about an algebra either? It's been a very long time
since I worked with these languages, but as far as I recall, I started
thinking about data structures and procedures operating on these data
structures, which sounds a look like making ADTs and
functions/operations on these... So this sounds odd, because it would
mean that C and Pascal are in a sense closer to FP than OO is?

Also Luke Palmer talked a couple of times about "co-algebraic"
approaches, but not being a computer scientist, I never really
understood what that meant ("just reverse all the arrows"?)