[Haskell-cafe] Wikipedia article

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 20:30:54 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> marlowsd:
>> As noted before, the Wikipedia article for Haskell is a disorganised mess.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell_%28programming_language%29
>>
>> earlier this year, dons suggested reorganising it and posted a template
>> on the Haskell wiki:
>>
>> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/WikipediaArticleDesign
>>
>> I've made a start on a new version of the page:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Simonmar/Haskell_%28programming_language%29
>>
>> I've kept most of the existing information, but reorganised it more or
>> less according to Don's template, and I filled out the overview section.
>>  Also I fixed numerous things, but the page still has a long way to go
>>
>> Does anyone mind if I spam the existing Haskell article with this new
>> one, or do people think we should continue editing the sandbox version
>> until it's in better shape?
>
> Maybe we should make the switch, and move the old page into some
> historical section. That's more likely to ensure the page gets filled
> out...
>
> Gwern, other wikipedians, thoughts?
>
> -- Don

The changes look fine to me, although I'm a little surprised at all
the {{fact}} tags. (Some of them look very easy to fix, like why
typeclasses were introduced in the first place.)

There's no need to do any page moving or anything; the new version can
just be pasted in. The main concern is maintaining a complete &
correct copyright history, and if Simon made all the edits modifying
the original text, and he also makes the big update, then there's no
issue: the holder of the copyright will appear aright in the history
with all his changes.

--
gwern