[Haskell-cafe] Finding HP

Martijn van Steenbergen martijn at van.steenbergen.nl
Fri Dec 4 05:53:38 EST 2009

Don Stewart wrote:
> vandijk.roel:
>> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:44 PM, Gregory Crosswhite
>> <gcross at phys.washington.edu> wrote:
>>> On a more serious note, "Download Haskell" /= "Download Haskell Platform", so if I were glancing down the sidebar looking for a link to download the "Haskell Platform" then the first link wouldn't have registered for me.  And putting a "X has been released link!" in the news does not count as a prominent download link.
>> If I wanted to know something *about* the *Haskell Platform* I would
>> click the link The Haskell Platform under the section About. So it is
>> actually mentioned 3 times on the front page. What could be improved
>> are the 2 download links: "Download Haskell" and "Download GHC". It
>> would perhaps be better to have one nice big "Download" button that
>> takes you to a separate download page.
>
> Having a single download link that only points to the Haskell Platform
> would be a bit of a policy shift. Is the community ready to accept that
> users looking for "Haskell" should be given the HP binaries?

Although as others pointed out this wasn't the suggestion, I do think
that it is a good idea to eventually have a single big download button à
la firefox.com: Haskell Platform OS-specific (based on best effort
guess) button linking directly to download, with less prominent options
to download for other OS'es, or other implementations.

Groetjes,

Martijn.