[Haskell-cafe] inotify-alike for mac os x?

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 11:08:02 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>wrote:

> Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net> writes:
>
> > I'd like to make some FRPish toys that keep files updated to have
> > functional relationships with other files.  hinotify looks like just
> > the sort of underlying magic I could use for efficient implementation
> > on linux.  Is there any support for mac os x?  Could support be either
> > added to hinotify or maybe inotify and a mac-friendly library be
> > abstracted into a common Haskell interface?  I'm fine with an
> > imperative interface, since I can abstract into a functional library,
> > which I guess would be a sort of persistent simplified FRP.
>
> On Mac & BSD you have to use kqueue, and on Windows it's
> ReadDirectoryChangesW. A platform-agnostic Haskell library for detecting
> filesystem change notifications is something that I would really
> appreciate!

launchd does everything on mac os x, like literally everything.  My mother
said if I can't say something good about someone or something then don't say
anything at all, and in this case, I'm taking her advice on what I think
about launchd, however if you click the link below you might get an idea of
how that works on Mac OS X.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1515730/is-there-a-command-like-watch-or-inotifywait-on-the-mac

Dave