[Haskell-cafe] Low Level Audio - Writing bytes to the sound card?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 12:14:04 EST 2009

Hello Andrew

Plenty compile on Windows:

Some OpenVG, OpenGL[1] (still? - I'm a bit behind the times) only
compile with MinGW.

Others are fine with Cygwin provided you have the dev packages
installed (readline, pcre-light...).

Yet others - no chance...

If you can get the raw C library to work in either Cygwin or MinGW,
you should have a good chance. The only sound software I've had
working on Cygwin has been ChucK though I haven't tried many - ChucK
uses RtAudio to talk to the soundcard which probably isn't easy to
write a binding for as its C++. I had ChucK working two years ago,
maybe things have improved in the Cygwin world regarding sound since
then and other systems now work.

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtaudio/

Best wishes

Stephen

[1] OpenGL worked fine when it was bundled with GHC, when it got
unbundled things seemed to go amiss, plus it seemed to be the thing to
use freeglut - hence the complicated instructions here:
http://netsuperbrain.com/blog/posts/freeglut-windows-hopengl-hglut/