[Haskell-cafe] HP + Gtk2hs?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 5 14:14:17 EST 2009

Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>
> Saturday, December 5, 2009, 6:40:23 PM, you wrote:
>

>> prominent?) Somebody pointed out this bug 6 months ago. Somebody else
>> posted a potential fix a month ago. There is no visible activity from
>> the developers.
>>

> Developer. many Haskell problems is due to the fact that we have a few
> volunteers doing things and lot of consumers begging for features :)

That *does* in fact seem to be a recurring problem, yes.

Now, how to fix this...?

>> Gtk2hs is currently the *only* GUI binding that actually works on
>> Windows.
>>

> i thought that wx and even qt are in rather good shape now

I did try to get wxHaskell going once or twice. And the SDL binding. (I
wasn't aware we have Qt now...) I've never got any of them to work yet. :-(

Interestingly, while you can't compile bindings to external C libraries,
GHC does appear to ship with all the header files for Windows, which is
odd. It seems if you try to FFI to a standard Win32 function, it
magically knows where the hell the header files are, and it Just
Works(tm). Hell, I even followed a C++ guide to Win32 programming and
managed to translate an "open a blank window" program to Haskell, and it
worked. Maybe somebody just needs to sit down and write a nice binding
for doing native GUI stuff under Win32?