[Haskell-cafe] ANN: hakyll-0.1

Tom Tobin korpios at korpios.com
Tue Dec 8 00:30:23 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Jasper van der Jeugt
<jaspervdj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hakyll is a simple static site generator library, mostly aimed at blogs. It
> supports markdown, tex and html templates.
>
> It is inspired by the ruby Jekyll program. It has a very small codebase
> because it makes extensive use of the excellent pandoc and Text.Template
> libraries.
>
> More information can be found on:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/hakyll-0.1
> http://github.com/jaspervdj/Hakyll

I hate to say this, but it looks like you're violating the GPL by not
releasing Hakyll under the GPL, since Pandoc is GPL'd.  I don't think
you're alone in this — IIRC I've seen several Hackage libraries doing
the same thing.

I *really* wish Pandoc would switch to a non-copyleft license.
(Pretty please, with sugar and cherries on top?)  I know that GPL
authors are trying to enforce contributions, but the opposite can very
well happen: if you have an "essential" copyleft library, someone's
eventually going to write a non-copyleft replacement for it (e.g.,
witness the replacements for Readline) rather than continue to allow
it to restrict the licensing options of the community.  Great
libraries should be able to be embraced without reservations.