[Haskell-cafe] ANN: hakyll-0.1

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Tue Dec 8 06:10:21 EST 2009

minh thu <noteed at gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder how APIs are covered.

I don't think an API would be covered.  The API is the standard way to
use something, if copyright licenses cover usage like this, any
executable will be a derivative of the operating system and (possibly)
the compiler.

> Why should your code be licensed under GPL?

I think your code is covered by whatever license you wish.

An aggregate work, on the other hand, would need to be covered by the
GPL, and all source code would have to be available under GPL terms.  So
if you distribute your code linked to or incorporating the GPL library,
the whole must conform to the GPL license (source availability and
redistributatbility, etc).

Your contributions could still be licensed under a different license
(e.g. BSD), as long as the licensing doesn't prevent somebody else to
pick it up and relicense it under GPL.

At least, that's how I understand things.

-k