[Haskell-cafe] Haskell job opportunity

Tom Hawkins tomahawkins at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 20:23:38 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Tom Tobin <korpios at korpios.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:09 AM, siki <gabor at karamaan.com> wrote:
>> You should have at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science from a top
>> university
>
> Might I humbly suggest that this is going to severely limit your
> hiring options?  You're looking for the intersection of sets of people
> who:
>
> - Have a BS in computer science (cuts out a fair number of people)
> - Graduated from a "top university" (cuts out a *lot* of people)
> - Is familiar with Java (cuts out some people)
> - Is skilled with Haskell (a fair bet for many on this mailing list, at least)

We hired a technician by trade with no engineering or computer science
degree, but who happened to show an unique aptitude and interest for
learning a wide variety of programming languages.  Though he had no
prior experience with Haskell, or functional programming for that
matter, in a few months he became a very proficient Haskell developer.

I've also experienced many engineers with advanced degrees from
prominent schools who have had tremendous difficulty understanding the
language -- and the benefits -- of Haskell.  I'm starting to believe
people are either wired for it, or they are not.

> - Can work in the Manhattan area (cuts out a *lot* of people)

My boss has said that the relative time zone is just as good as
co-location.  So I'd like to put a call out for resumes, which would
help me build a case for opening reqs in the US -- and Canada and
Central and South America for that matter.

We need people interest in:

- hybrid vehicles
- electro-hydraulics
- feedback control systems
- safety-critical, hard real-time embedded
- compiler design
- formal methods
- and of course, functional languages

We use Haskell for many tools and Atom for embedded code and
verification (http://hackage.haskell.org/package/atom).

http://www.eaton.com