[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why?

Gregory Crosswhite gcross at phys.washington.edu
Thu Dec 10 12:17:22 EST 2009

In fairness to John, his trying really hard to avoid causing offense might having something to do with the fact that he just had a couple dozen or so e-mails attacking him personally the last time he tried asking questions about Haskell and comparing it to O'Caml.

I have to confess that I myself had thought at the time that he was being a troll --- i.e., in this case a person who shows up on a mailing list of fans of a language and attacks it just to create a fuss --- since he had not only pointed out reasons why the language is flawed (which is not in itself unreasonable, as long as it is being done in a constructive manner), but asked us to prove that it *wasn't* flawed, and said things that implied that we only liked it because we had never seriously looked at any other language.  However, his recent e-mails on this have shown a serious willingness to really try to understand more about Haskell.  Thus, perhaps there may have simply been a miscommunication/misunderstanding earlier.

Cheers,
Greg