[Haskell-cafe] What about adding a wiki for each haskell project?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Dec 13 08:02:13 EST 2009

Excerpts from wren ng thornton's message of Sun Dec 13 13:54:04 +0100 2009:
> Ketil Malde wrote:

> > I think this is a great idea.
> >
> >> Because of Duncan's concerns about imposing too much burden on
> >> authors, and because there are many mature projects which already have
> >> wikis etc, I have a counter-proposal.
> >
> > I don't this this is the same thing.  Marc's proposal would provide a
> > scratch pad for random users to discuss or comment on various stuff on
> > Hackage.  At least the way I see it, it is primarily *not* for use by
> > the author, and in fact most useful when the author is not around to
> > actively support his project.
>
> But if it's a wiki, wouldn't people be able to add changes themselves?
> Isn't that the idea behind wikis? Sure, the authors could lock down
> their wikis, but I don't get the feeling that many would.
>
> My interpretation of Duncan's concern ---not meaning to put words in his
> mouth--- is that adding a Hackage wiki could place undue burden on the
> authors. If authors already have a wiki, then a Hackage wiki is just an
> extra place to check for feedback which will be prone to duplication and
> being out-of-date.

Indeed I didn't want hackage to host the wiki. I only want hackage to
host the link to the wiki page.
If this burden exist can we make it smaller by using a wiki which can
send emails to the author (or the dev mailinglists) whenever there is a
change? Then authors don't have to poll the wiki pages themselves.

Anyway I feel this is going nowhere. The people which may benefit a lot
are beginners. I learned that there are some maintainers who do follow
Duncan's concerns. So let me start a last thread on
beginners at haskell.org. If they all say they fear outdated content more
than they appreciate nice howtos or bugfixes which haven't been uploaded
yet I'll forget about this idea and shut up.

comparison to haskell.org/haskellwiki
Let's not forget that haskell.org is a nice source of information. It's
a wiki as well. What makes haskell.org/haskellwiki (all other pages)
that much different from what I propose?

Let's wait and see what beginners think.

Thank you very much for participating
Marc Weber