[Haskell-cafe] Re: Allowing hyphens in identifiers

Steve Schafer steve at fenestra.com
Fri Dec 18 09:54:31 EST 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:39:21 +1300, you wrote:

>My experience has been that in order to make sense of someone else's
>code you *HAVE* to break identifiers into their component words.
>With names like (real example) ScatterColorPresetEditor, the eye
>*can't* take it in at once, and telling the difference between that
>and ScatterColorPresentEditor would be a pain.  Break them up
>Ada-style as Scatter_Colour_Preset_Editor and
>Scatter_Colour_Present_Editor and you're away laughing.

I wouldn't notice the difference between Preset and Present in either
case. And in the latter example, my eyes would actually be drawn away
from Preset/Present and towards Colour, noticing that it is spelled
incorrectly...

Count me in the "prefers hyphens" camp, by the way.

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp.
http://www.fenestra.com/