[Haskell-cafe] : cabal install SDL

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 15:52:13 EST 2009

2009/12/27 Lie Ryan <lie.1296 at gmail.com>:
> [SNIP...]  (i.e. can I use
> the resultant SDL-binding outside Cygwin?)

Hi

The short answers is "yes" - once you have the Haskell binding
installed will need only the .exe of your (Haskell) application
compiled by GHC and the SDL.dll [1].

The long answer is that this was true for whichever GHC I was using a
year ago (probably 6.10.1) so should still be true now but isn't
guaranteed. Installing the development packages for SDL was a bit
convoluted a year ago - cygwin needs the DirectX headers[2]. Also I
think you might have to compile to an exe each time - I seem to
remember you couldn't develop with SDL and GHCi.

[1] http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.14-win32.zip

[2] http://www.libsdl.org/extras/win32/cygwin/README.txt

Best wishes

Stephen