[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why binding to existing widget toolkits doesn't make any sense

Jeff Heard jefferson.r.heard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 23:13:26 EST 2009

I will happily check it on Linux.  I'm only vaguely familiar with
OpenVG... In theory it's a good API, and would support exactly what
I'd need for a backend to Hieroglyph that isn't Cairo based, but we'd
still need a good image API and probably to bind to Pango to get text
and layout support.

For Image APIs, by the way, I suggest that someone, maybe me, but
someone, look at the VIPS toolkit, as it's probably already the most
Haskell-like toolkit, as it's lazy and concurrent all the way down
past the C layer and supports fully composable operators.  The authors
haven't formalized it as far as functional programming goes, but it
was definitely in the back of their brains when they were coming up
with it.  The other advantage is that the V stands for Very Large.
VIPS can handle images of unlimited size.

-- Jeff