[Haskell-cafe] Why binding to existing widget toolkits doesn't make any sense

Fraser Wilson blancolioni at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 04:28:48 EST 2009

You know, I read the Fudgets thesis, and threw together an experiment which
used Glade for layout and Haskell for semantics [1].  As somebody else
noted, this isn't really a clean division, because of things like editable
flags in the layout.  The darcs repository has a couple of demo
applications, there's also a Bridge game that doesn't quite work (not
included), and I understand that Arrows would solve all my problems, but I
still don't grok them, alas.

What I found was that wiring the events through the application in a nice,
functional way was quite tricky, but it was unclear whether this was just an
API problem, or something more fundamental.  The entire state seems to turn
up in every connection between widgets (which really suggests that it's
imperative with a veneer of declarative style, which of course it is).

For example, you need a changed flag in the state of the text editor.  This
is updated by a signal from the text widget, and read by the main window
(because it affects the title bar text), the File/New and File/Open menu
items (need to put up a "Save Changes?" message box) and the main window
destroy handler (same thing, but it also needs some way of cancelling the
action).  Unfortunately, the main window is at one end of the event chain,
while the menu is all the way over on the other side.  This leads to tricky
composition, and widgets which pass the entire state to each other because
there's one little bit of information they might need.

A related issue is that the application is like a river, in which events
flow from one end to the other.  Send events back the other way is ugly.
Some sort of blackboard design might work better.

This conversation made me start thinking about replacing Glade with a
Haskell layout language, but I still don't know how to solve the above
problems.  I should read the FRP papers again.

cheers,
Fraser.

[1] http://thewhitelion.org/darcs/barrie

http://thewhitelion.org/mysister