[Haskell-cafe] evaluation semantics of bind

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Mon Feb 9 08:17:07 EST 2009

Just to clarify a little.
If you implement the IO monad in a sane way (as some kind of state
monad or continuation monad) then the compiler can optimize e>>=f even
for the IO monad.  The implementation of >>= will ensure the
sequencing of effects in e before effects in f.
The IO monad is less magic than you seem to think it is. :)

  -- Lennart