[Haskell-cafe] Haddock Markup

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Feb 9 09:18:54 EST 2009

Khudyakov Alexey wrote:

> I think MathML is much less accessible than images. Yes, there are problems
> with them but any browser is able to display them save for text based ones.
> MathML on contrary doesn't have much support. According to wikipedia only
> recent versions of gecko based browsers and opera >=9.5 can do this. For IE
> special plugin is required (MathPlayer). I believe image are safest way at
> least for now.

As far as I know, Haddock is not bound to HTML output. (And if it is
bound this way, I wished it wouldn't.) For PDF Haddock output TeX
formula will be the best choice, whereas for HTML, MathML or embedded
images are the best. I expect there will be no consensus and the Haddock
user should decide how he wants the formulas to be rendered. That's best
generated from a structure preserving notation of math formulas (like
Haskell expressions).