[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Google Summer of Code 2009

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 22:01:45 EST 2009

2009/2/10 Jamie <haskell at datakids.org>:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Conrad Meyer wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 10 February 2009 07:18:00 am Jamie wrote:
>>>
>>> What I would like to see is H.264 video codec in Haskell.  H.264/MPEG-4
>>> is
>>> getting very popular nowadays and it would be great to have encoder and
>>> decoder in haskell.  Can use x264 (encoder) and ffmpeg (en/de coder)
>>> as a base to start with.
>>>
>>>        Jamie
>>
>> GSoC is run out of the US, where software patents would prevent a student
>> from taking this task.
>
> via http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html
>
> "x264 is a free library for encoding H264/AVC video streams. The code is
> written from scratch by Laurent Aimar, Loren Merritt, Eric Petit (OS X), Min
> Chen (vfw/asm), Justin Clay (vfw), Måns Rullgård, Radek Czyz, Christian
> Heine (asm), Alex Izvorski, and Alex Wright. It is released under the terms
> of the GPL license."
>
> Seems like it is ok to write H.264 in Haskell and released via GPL license?
>
> There is theora.org but H.264 would be ideal.  Ditto for H.263.
>
>> Conrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org> >
>
>        Jamie

Software patent issues are entirely orthogonal to the copyright issues of who wrote what under which license. That's why software patents suck so very hard.

See https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Software_patent#Free_and_open_source_software & https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Software_patents_and_free_software

--
gwern